Monday, April 3, 2017

April 3, 2017

Hola my dear people! 

Ahh man, watching conference made me very homesick, and seeing the little intro of the temple grounds and stuff made me miss Utah and the weather and all you people in Utah. Also, I miss being in the mountains so much. Holy moly. We walk on the busy streets all the time and all the cars just let out all this gross exhaust (is that even what it's called?) haha Anyways so ya, all I'm sayin is I miss the nice Utah mountain air.

But wasn't conference great?! It was all in Spanish for me, so I only picked up on some of it. But when Thomas S. Monson got up, I just had this wave of happiness come over me. and my eyes filled with tears and it was a very spiritual moment. Our church is so amazing! We have a prophet leading and guiding us! We have the priesthood. I love our prophet. Such a cute lil old man. And his words were so true. The Book of Mormon is sooooo important. We each need to gain our own testimony of it. We need to be reading it everyday. I certainly did not realize the importance of reading everyday before my mission, but now I do and ya, it's such an amazing gift and blessing and we need to not take it for granted! 

I had a major humbling experience this week. I've spoken a little of Manuel in my past letters. 14 year old boy who's hilarious. We have been struggling with him cause he never wants to read the scriptures. So went went into one of our lessons with him with a great lesson plan and discovered that he hadn't been reading, so we ditched the lesson we had and just read with him. We just read taking turns and when it came to his turn, the poor kid literally can't read. He has to sound out every word and it takes him a long time to get through a verse. Here I am like 2-ish months out on the mish and I'm always worried about MY language and I'm stressing about how I'm doing in Spanish, but here is Manuel. This kid who has grown up speaking Spanish but he can't even read his own language. And then I continued thinking about some of our other investigators, Dania and Rosmita, who are the two Haitian girls. (Dania is getting baptized this Saturday) but they spend their days taking care of little babies while their uncles/brothers go to work. They aren't going to school. They have almost nothing. And ya, the mission has just been an incredible humbling experience. We are all so lucky to live where we do and get an education. I have loved being able to not focus so much on myself, but on others. Service is so important and I love this 18 months that I have to help others. 

Life is good. The church is true! Watch the new Prince of Peace Easter video. It's super good! Love you all so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment